Implied Dissent

Tuesday, October 19, 2004

Jimmy

So I watched Jimmy Carter on Hardball today. He and Chris Matthews talked about the Iraq situation today and the hostage situation back when he was president. He kept talking about how he/America had the support of the world, that everyone agreed with us. I don't think he mentioned results once. I finally got the feeling, and the more I think about it the more I think it's correct, that to Jimmy having the world agree with him was the result. It wasn't important to free the hostages, it was important to be popular around the world. I'm all in favor of being popular, but it's a secondary consideration, a nice consequence of doing the right thing, and hopefully if you are popular it expedites what you're trying to do. To make popularity the goal of US policy is insanity, but that seems to be what Jimmy wants. Oy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home