Implied Dissent

Monday, January 03, 2005

Cultural decline and basketball

Is our culture declining? Possibily, but as Boudreaux points out, we have a tendency to remember the best of yesteryears and compare them to the average of today. This parallels a point I've made before about people who complain about the current state of the NBA. I don't dispute that there has been a decline in many aspects of how the game of basketball is played today; most significantly, the up tempo, team-oriented game has faded almost away. However, I hear people say things like,"I was watching the Celtics and Lakers play on ESPN Classic, and it made me sick comparing it to today's game." The game you were watching was on ESPN Classic! It was one of the best games of the era, we can be pretty sure it was not a normal game. I'm with you that there are problems, but have a little perspective, and try to appreciate the ways in which the games today are superior.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home