Implied Dissent

Friday, February 25, 2005

C's and Pats

I haven't fully decided, but I'm pretty sure I'm against the Antoine Walker trade the Celtics just made. I was against trading him away, but trading for him now doesn't make a lot of sense to me. If it were just a straight trade, 3 for 1, I'd be fine with it, but we threw in a first round draft pick. I don't know the conditions on the pick, which could swing me in favor of the trade if they're stringent enough, but combining losing a pick with taking playing time away from Al Jefferson to develop doesn't seem like a good strategy. It's hard to say what effect it will have on the team this season, which is fine by me, I'm for taking risks when the season isn't really going anywhere anyway, but I'm skeptical of the long run implications given that the best-case scenario is probably that the C's win one playoff series. Eh.
In other news, sources tell me the Pats have cut Ty Law [Looks like this became official in between the time I last looked at a newssite and when I wrote the post, but I did know before it was out there. Really]. I'm a big Law fan and will miss him, but this almost certainly is the right move. It will save the team something on the order of $8M against the cap this year. As great as Law is, he's not that good, as the Pats proved that they can put together a pretty good secondary without him already. I'm sure they will be looking to add some talent at cornerback and/or safety to compensate for losing Ty, but they will have a lot of money to do so, so they'll be fine.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home