Implied Dissent

Saturday, March 05, 2005

C's

I still don't know what exactly are the conditions on the draft pick that the Celtics gave up, but there are some, and that's enough. Given that they've resigned Payton, I now love the trade's possibilities for this year. I also have rethought my concern about how the trade will affect the young players development, as a month and a half of somewhat less playing time shouldn't hurt them too much, and watching and practicing and playing with the vets should benefit them, plus a playoff run would be good for them, even if they mostly sit on the bench during it. If I had known how likely this sequence of events was, I'd have supported the trade originally, but when someone mentioned the possibility it seem so far-fetched that Payton would come back that I dismissed it. With him back they no longer have questions at the point guard spot and Antoine's presence helps the backup PGs play without being overwhelmed. Then there's the energy that Antoine has brought with him. Wow. I knew he could be a catalyst, but I didn't realize it would be like this. If he keeps concentrating on low post play, rebounding, and defense to complement the athletes and perimeter players they have, this team can beat anyone in the East in a 7 game series. They probably can't beat the Spurs if they both make it to the Finals, but anyone else in the league is beatable. My guess is the Celtics will win one series and lose a good battle in the second round, as the Pistons and Heat are still better, but the potential for more is definitely there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home