Implied Dissent

Friday, January 06, 2006

Playoff time!

The NFL playoffs start tomorrow. Here are Sports Guy's picks, and here are my (entertainment purposes only) picks:
Washington Redskins at Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Bucs favored by 2.5. Both teams are good but flawed. E.g., TB's QB is too young, while the Skins' QB is too old. I like both running games, and the defenses are comparable. I think the fact that Gibbs hasn't coached a playoff game in ages is a negative for Washington. It will be close, but I'm leaning towards the home team. Bucs 20-17.
Jacksonville Jaguars at New England Patriots, Pats favored by 7.5. The Patriots should win this game, they have the better coach, better QB, a roughly equal defense, and a roughly equal running game. But, the problems in the secondary aren't totally fixed and they rarely blow people out. The Jags cover, the Pats win. Patriots 20-16.
Pittsburgh Steelers at Cincinnati Bengals, Steelers favored by 3. I like the Bengals a lot, but I think they are the Not Ready for Primetime Team. Plus the defense has been poor since their bye week. And Roethlisberger has 2 more (admittedly shaky) playoff starts than Palmer. It's been a great year for Bengals fans, but wait until next year for serious contention. Steelers 23-14.
Carolina Panthers at New York Giants, Giants favored by 2.5. Eli concerns me, but so does Jake. The Giants were only ok down the stretch, but the Panthers were iffy. Home field and Tiki give NY the win. Giants 20-13.
For reference, last year I was 8-3 picking winners, 7-4 against the spread. Two years ago I was 5-6 picking winners, 2-8-1 against the spread. Three years ago I was 8-3 picking winners, 4-7 against the spread. Add all those up, and I am 34-31-1. No, wait, picking winners I am 21-12, against the spread I am 13-19-1.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home