Implied Dissent

Wednesday, September 24, 2003

I was disturbed this morning to wake up to this story on NPR. Romney, and his band of "experts," are missing the entire point, in my opinion. There is no such thing as a perfect death penalty statute -- even if you can "certify" guilt. It disgusts me that my tax money is being spent on this project. I am most disturbed by this comment, "Romney said the commission will not study whether Massachusetts, one of 12 states that do not have a death penalty statute, should reinstate executions." All his talk about certainty doesn't answer my biggest question - what benefit is there in having a death penalty at all?

I encourage anyone reading this who agrees with me to drop Gov. Romney a line with your opinion.
Governor Mitt Romney
The Commonwealth of Massachusetts
Executive Department
State House Boston, MA 02133
(617) 725-4000


In other less disturbing news, this is Banned Book Week. According to the American Library Association, among the 100 most challenged books are I know Why the Caged Bird Sings, the entire Harry Potter series, Brave New World, and (my favorite) Where's Waldo.

Also - today June Carter Cash posthumously released Wildwood Flower. The album features collaborations with her children, cousins, friends and beloved (now late) husband Johnny Cash.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home