Implied Dissent

Wednesday, November 03, 2004

4 more years

Well, Bush won, fair and square. At least, as fair and square as the other side. I reiterate my opinion that it won't matter a whole lot. Some areas he'll be worse than Kerry would have been, some better. People who think Roe v Wade will be overturned are way overreacting, people who thought Kerry wouldn't fight the terrorists were fear-mongering. I'm hopeful that many of the dumb things Bush did were because he thought (rightly or wrongly) that they'd help him win the election and so now he'll be a lot better, chiefly in controlling spending and actually fighting the wars he starts. I'm not naive enough to think he'll stop doing dumb things, like starting wars he shouldn't and holding grudges against people and organizations that want to help (see the IAEA primarily). And here's a hopeful thought.
As for my own voting, I came as close as possible to voting for Kerry without doing it. I fully intended to when I walked into my voting location. But when I was holding the pen in hand looking down at the circles, I just couldn't bring myself to do it. I had to vote as close to my conscious as the choices allowed, and that meant Badnarik. I know he's nutty, even for a Libertarian, but he's not Kerry, he's not Bush, and he's an actual vote against the Iraq war, and that's the most important issue in the election (or should have been). I sometimes deride voting as a waste of time, but that doesn't mean I'm going to lie about what I want by voting for the douchebag or the turd sandwich.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home