Implied Dissent

Saturday, January 22, 2005

Championship weekend

Well, last weekend was a nice turnaround for me, putting at 5-3 picking winners, 4-4 against the spread. Nothing special, but no longer bad. Onto the games.
Atlanta Falcons at Philadelphia Eagles, Eagles favored by 5. Philly was a bit off last weekend and still handled Minnesota pretty easily. Atlanta probably can't play a better game than they did against St Louis. If both teams play as well as they did, Atlanta will win, but I don't see that happening. Philly's main guys hadn't played much in about a month, so they needed one game to get back up to speed, and it seems like whenever a team blows out someone in the playoffs that they are a bit off in the next game. Add in that the Falcons are a warm weather team playing in what should be cold and snowy conditions, and I don't think it will be close. Vick gives them a puncher's chance at victory, but I doubt it will happen. Eagles 23, Falcons 7.
New England Patriots at Pittsburgh Steelers, Patriots favored by 3. A lot of this game's outcome will depend on which Roethlisberger shows up. Will the in-control dangerous Ben from the regular season play and take advantage of the Pats secondary, or will the shaky rookie who nearly blew the game last week? I'm guessing a little bit of both. The Pats will exact their revenge for Pittsburgh ending their win streak by ending Pittsburgh's. Patriots 24, Steelers 17.
I think this makes the third straight year I've predicted the Eagles will win this game, hopefully I'll be right this time. Any of the four possible Superbowl matchups would be interesting, but Philly-New England would be the best, in my opinion. Go Pats.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home