Implied Dissent

Friday, January 14, 2005

Round 2

Well, round 1 of the playoffs went just about as they should have, I was wrong often. Always remember, use the Costanza Theory when looking at my predictions for the NFL, especially the playoffs, for betting purposes (not that I condone or encourage gambling here, cough, cough). Anyway...
NY Jets at Pittsburgh Steelers, Steelers favored by 8.5. The Jets are a pretty good team, pretty well balanced, and they have a very good QB. Of course, he has the flu and they were barely able to win last week against Mr. Playoff Choke, Marty Schottenheimer, even though they played near their best. The only thing that makes me a little nervous is that Big Ben is a rookie, so the Steelers QB is starting his first playoff game ever. But because they rely on the run so much and they're a good team all-around, I think they'll be okay. Steelers 21, Jets 14.
St Louis Rams at Atlanta Falcons, Falcons favored by 7. I have questions about the Falcons' coach and I think they rely on Vick too much, but I have qualms about the Rams' QB and don't have any faith in their coach, especially on the road. Falcons 31, Rams 21.
Minnesota Vikings at Philadelphia Eagles, Eagles favored by 8.5. Minnesota apparently wasn't done like I thought, and they have enough firepower that I wouldn't be shocked if they won this. But I think Philly's D is plenty strong enough and the whole team has something to prove. Plus Reid is a much better coach than Tice. Eagles 24, Vikings 17.
Indianapolis Colts at NE Patriots, Patriots favored by 2. The top game of the weekend. The record-breaking QB against the defensive guru. The defending champs against the team that thinks that it was better last year and is still better this year. If Ty Law and Richard Seymour were healthy, I'd take the Patriots by a huge margin. They won last year by 10 with a running game nowhere near this good, and this time Coach B has had an extra week to prepare. I'm really waffling on this one; will the Pats win by 3, or by 6? I'm going to go with 3. Patriots 24, Colts 21.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home