Implied Dissent

Monday, February 28, 2005

Brad DeLong is a douchebag

Brad wrote an interesting post on global warming. I commented as follows:
I certainly could be wrong, but it sounds to me like his
methodology is question-begging. If I am please say why
explicitly and don't just say that I am in brackets.
I put the last part in due to the fact that I've seen him do exactly that sometimes rather than deal with people's questions and objections. So he erases my second sentence and writes:

[Why do you think so? A comment like this is unhelpful.]

Ok. I should have should said exactly why I thought it was question-begging, but deleting the second sentence is a little obnoxious. I probably was a little overly peeved when I wrote the following, but still I was pretty calm and straight-forward:

First off, Brad, way to butcher my comment and comply
with the letter of but not the intent of the request I
made that you cut out. Nice.
Anyway, his proof that man is causing the changes
sounds like he simply took a model and played with
some of the numbers. The numbers our actions can
affect are the ones that move the model, so our guilt
in changing the climate is proven by this model. A
model which already presupposed we're causing the
changes. I should have been more explicit about what
I meant, and it's certainly possible that my
understanding of his methodology is off somehow, but I
do have to say that "a comment like [yours] is
unhelpful."
Notice that I've said twice that I could be wrong. I'm practically begging him to explain to me why I am. What's his response? He deletes my comment and calls me a troll. Hence, I'm left with one inescapable conclusion: Brad DeLong is a douchebag. But, then, we already knew that. If I ever treat someone who leaves a comment on my site like this, let me know. Yes, I know it's his site and he can run it how he wants to, but that's not the point. We should all try to be like Tom, notice how he handles people with whom he disagrees in a thoughtful manner, even when he clearly thinks they're nuts.

[Update: BD/DB emailed me to say that the comment I left does not add "knowledge or information". I asked him to explain why in a 100% respectful manner. He responded to a non-essential part of my email with a flippant remark. So I asked again, still completely devoid of rancor, insult, or anything of that sort. No response. I reiterate my conclusion of douchebaggery. Either I'm right or he has no clue, or both. Another request to you: if I clearly don't know something and don't admit it, call me on it.]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home