Implied Dissent

Friday, January 13, 2006

Week 2

Well, last week's playoffs didn't go so great for me. 2-2 picking winners, 1-3 against the spread, though if Shepherd hadn't inexcusably dropped that touchdown pass, I'd likely be 3-1, 2-2, with one score exactly right. Oh well, moving on.
SG's picks, my picks:
Washington Redskins at Seattle Seahawks, Seahawks favored by 9.5. While it's possible the 'Skins pull this off, it would be because Seattle shits a brick. The defenses are similar, but Seattle has the better passing game and running game, it's in Seattle, and they're better rested. Seattle 27-13.
Pittsburgh Steelers at Indianapolis Colts, Colts favored by 9.5. This game could turn out just about anyway and I wouldn't be surprised. The Colts are the best team in the league until proven otherwise, and could win in a blowout. Or they could be too rusty as they haven't played a good game in over a month, and be blown out. Or Pittsburgh could play smashmouth and push the Colts around enough that it's close. I just don't know, but I'm leaning towards Colts hang on. Indy 24-20.
Carolina Panthers at Chicago Bears, Bears favored by 3. I still don't trust the Panthers, and they're coming off a huge win, which seems to bode poorly for most teams. Yes, Grossman is a big wild-card for da Bears, but their defense is dominant and running game is good. Chicago 19-10.
New England Patriots at Denver Broncos, Broncos favored by 3. This is a tough one for me. Sentimentally I want to pick the Pats, and there is a strong argument for doing so. Brady + Belichick = 10-0 in the playoffs, the defense is much better than it was in the first half of the season, and Shanahan hasn't won a playoff game since Elway retired. Plus Jake Plummer is the opposing QB. Even given all that, I think the problems in the Pats secondary and in the running game are significant enough that we can't quite overcome the home-field and bye week advantage. Broncos 27-21.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home