Implied Dissent

Saturday, May 17, 2008

X-Men

Where to start? First off, great casting. Has an actor ever been a better fit for a character than Patrick Stewart as Professor X? I wouldn’t quite say the same of Ian McKellen as Magneto, but I think he’s an even better actor than Stewart. Then there’s Jackman playing Wolverine to perfection. We won’t linger on Halle Berry’s suckfest performance, other than to note that at least her role wasn’t big in the movie. Other performances range from ok to good.


Great opening scene, with Magneto’s childhood experiences forming his worldview. Fight scenes were all good as I recall. Movie spent too much time introducing everyone and explaining everything; I understand why they did it, and it was generally well done, but it did detract from the overall experience.


I’ve heard some complaints that Magneto’s plan either didn’t make sense, and that it was a great plan that the X-Men should have been on board with. Not sure how to reconcile these different takes. Other than to say I think the plan made sense, and was rightly opposed.


Overall, I give it a 4 out of 5.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home