Implied Dissent

Monday, January 26, 2009

BSG Blogging

Yglesias takes on Dirk Benedict, aka Starbuck from the original Battlestar Galactica. As someone who is currently in the middle of season 3 of the new series and just finished watching all of the episodes from the original, I feel I can add a couple of things here. First off, the original wasn't "cheesy crap", it was a mixture of cheesy crap and cheesy excellence. Big difference. My two biggest surprises in watching the original are how little of it I remembered, and how much of it made it's way into the new series. Secondly, Yglesias declares the new Starbuck great. Clearly I've vastly overestimated the man's intelligence, or he has recently suffered a headwound. In my opinion, Starbuck/Stardoe is one of the worst parts of the new show; she's too derivative of the original, too gimmicky, and only played okay. I do acknowledge that the character and playing of the character have improved over the course of the series, at least to the point that I'm at with it.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home