Implied Dissent

Friday, April 18, 2014

NBA Playoffs 2014

I'd say the Eastern Conference is a 1.5 team race, and that there are 4 teams that could win the West. Like before I'll give predictions for all rounds now, but only take my Round 1 picks at all seriously (and even those don't take very seriously). I don't think any of my picks are particularly surprising, but maybe I'm wrong (hopefully only on that dimension).

Round 1
Eastern Conference
#1 Pacers against #8 Hawks. The Pacers are scuffling a bit, but are definitely better than Atlanta. Pacers 4-1.
#2 Heat against #7 Bobcats. Big Al might win them one game, but the Heat cruise. Heat 4-1.
#3 Raptors against #6 Nets. An interesting matchup. Old vs. young. Kidd's first playoff coaching experience. The Nets played well the last couple of months, the Raptors have played well since excising Rudy Gay (clearly they weren't ready for a Gay player. Thank you, I'll be here all week, folks). Nets 4-2.
#4 Bulls against #5 Wizards. Don't overlook either team. Bulls 4-3.

Western Conference
#1 Spurs against #8 Mavericks. The Spurs are much better, all due respect to Captain Dirk. Spurs 4-1.
#2 Thunder against #7 Grizzlies. The Grizz have played really well lately, but I'm still a Durantula believer, and Westbrook is close to his old self. Nice matchup of different styles. Thunder 4-3.
#3 Clippers against #6 Warriors. This will be the most fun series, expect a ton of scoring. No Bogut, though, means no Warriors advancing. Clippers 4-1.
#4 Rockets against #5 Trail Blazers. I may be selling them short, but I don't totally buy the Trail Blazers. Rockets 4-3.

Round 2
Eastern Conference
#1 Pacers against #4 Bulls. Wouldn't be shocked at all if the Bulls win this. Pacers 4-3.
#2 Heat against #6 Nets. Probably the toughest opponent in terms of matchups for the Heat. Still the Heat are better. Heat 4-2.

Western Conference
#1 Spurs against #4 Rockets. I give the Rockets a very real chance, but they have to show it. Spurs 4-3.
#2 Thunder against #3 Clippers. Thunder 4-3.

Round 3
Eastern Conference
#1 Pacers against #2 Heat. Maybe the Pacers will get it together by this point and win it, but it sure doesn't look that way now. Heat 4-2.

Western Conference
#1 Spurs against #2 Thunder. Very conflicted about this matchup. I'll go with the Spurs, due to the slightly easier path. Spurs 4-3.

NBA Finals
Spurs with home-court against the Heat. Rematch. Heat are more likely to make it, so I'll take them, but it's close to 50-50 for this series or for a Heat-Thunder one. Heat 4-3.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home