Implied Dissent

Thursday, April 29, 2004

I watched Oliver Stone's "Looking for Fidel" just now. It was interesting, but I'm not sure if we can really take anything from it. There was a scene (is that the right word in a documentary?) where some Cubans who had tried to hijack a plane are interviewed and they said some unexpected things, until you remember that Castro was right there watching the whole thing. Maybe what they said denying political repression was the truth, but I don't put a lot of stock in what I saw and heard. In any case, I am in favor of us lifting the sanctions against Cuba. The way I see it, there's no such thing as a little bit of freedom. Even disregarding the fact that the sanctions also reduce my freedom, they aren't a good policy. Exposing the country to outside influences can only help end the tyranny of Fidel. Shine a light and watch the cockroaches scurry.
On the topic of Latin America, I'm not sure if I should go to Brazil, or if I should stay away. I guess the second link is an argument against in-and-out sourcing (no I didn't think of that awful joke).
Jay-sus!
I am speechless.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home